CADIZ SPRINGS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

 

Why isn’t there ever anyone at the Cadiz office?
For many years a permanent Ranger was assigned specifically to Cadiz Springs Recreation Area and two other permanent employees were assigned to New Glarus Woods and the Sugar River Trail.  Over the years, the Green County Work Unit has grown to include the Badger Trail and some other Natural Area and Wildlife properties--while the number of staff has decreased.  Presently there is only one permanent Ranger for the entire Green County Work Unit and annual funding for summer employees has also decreased.  The main office for the Green County Work Unit is located at New Glarus Woods State Park.  DNR staff are at Cadiz Springs for maintenance on a regular basis.  However, there are not enough workers to have someone stay at the Cadiz office. 

 

How can I get a park sticker when there is never anyone at the office?
Due to reduced staff levels and more duties, we must rely more on the self-registration box for sales.  You can get an annual sticker or your Conservation Sticker through the self-registration box.  Simply fill out the envelope with the information and place the payment (or your patron receipt) in the envelope.  Your sticker will be mailed to you within a week.  Your copy of the form is your admission sticker until you receive it, and it will be honored at other parks.

 

Why is there so little money, with all the hunting and fishing license sales? 
The park system has to bring in 75% of its operating budget with admission and camping fees.  All of this money is used to maintain and operate the parks.  The remaining 25% comes from federal programs, grants, and state tax money like the Stewardship fund.  Hunting and fishing license revenue must by law go to the hunting and fishing programs, and is not used for parks.  
         
Are there rattlesnakes at Cadiz Springs? 
No rattlesnakes have ever been sighted at Cadiz Springs.  However, native massasauga rattlesnakes like to live in low, wet habitat such as we have in the Recreation Area.  Since they are very shy of human activity we would most likely never see them if they do live there.
Other non-venomous species of snakes that live in the park may shake their tails when they are threatened.  Fox snakes, for instance, also have markings that many people mistake for those of rattlesnakes.  When they shake their tails it makes a rattling sound, but it is not a loud as a rattlesnake would be.  Snakes don’t like being around people any more than we like to be around them.  If you see a snake at Cadiz Springs, just give it plenty of room.

 

What kinds of fish are in the lakes?
Beckman Lake is home to northern pike, largemouth bass, crappies, bluegills, pumpinkseeds and perch.  In Zander’s Lake, there are largemouth bass, crappies and bluegills.  Brown trout were stocked in Zander’s Creek in the fall of 2012.